Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Lent

The season of fasting, giving alms, and prayer.

In the past I never gave lent much thought. I just knew that I had to go to church, get my ashes and give up something that I love. Usually it was something physical, like chips and soda, meat, and well, those are all the significant sacrifices I can remember. This year is going to be much different. I want to focus on my spiritual side of life. Forget about what I don't have and haven't done, but focus on me and who I am today. I find it ironic that I'm 23 years old and I still haven't figured out who I am and how to express myself. So I'm going to take this 40 day journey to find myself, and be a better me.

Spiritual fasting: I will give up being insecure. (I got this from church today, and it hit really close to home.) The last couple years, I doubted myself, my skills, my knowledge, my ability to speak, and my future. I will be confident!

Giving alms: I'm going to fulfill my recent yearning to help the community by helping St. Cecilia's. I won't be as involved like I was at St. Jane's, I'll just start small. When I have more time, I'll take on more responsibilities. Perhaps in different communities.

Prayer: Something I haven't done on a regular basis since my junior of college. My nightly prayers before then may have not been meaningful and may have been rushed at times, nevertheless they were still prayers. It was a time for little pep talks with God, some meditation, and reflection. I plan to pick up that habit again starting tonight.

I know I'm not supposed to proclaim my sacrifices to the world, but you are the only one who reads this. So I think that's ok. Anyway, hopefully this will be the best self-improvement Lent yet.

On a physical note, since Lent is also a time of abstinence, I have suggested to Carlos that we give that up. Yeah, he thinks I'm weak-willed, but little does he know. If anyone breaks, it's gonna be him. Muhahahhaha!

1 comment:

Jan(i)e said...

Wow, you're so mature. I don't know if I could do all the things you do, but it's worth a try. I initially wanted to give up baking for the period of lent, but I just can't. Plus it'd be impossible since I'm taking a baking class. lol. But I've been working on being a better person a little while ago...so I guess I'll work extra hard during this time. If you can, I can.

And why don't you ever answer your phone!