Sunday, September 9, 2007

Familia Loya

So as soon as I got back from my lovely vacation in LA and seeing all my buddies. I had some nerve racking drama from work, but I don't care to write about it because it's resolved and now I love my new job! =)

But anyway, I had two days to get our apartment spanking clean for the "in-laws." (No, they're not in laws, but it's so much easier to refer to them as that for now.) I heard that Carlos' mother was a neat freak and if she saw a speck of dust, she would starting cleaning our house. So I swiftered and windexed everything. It took me all of Monday and Tuesday evening to get everything organized. I was so nervous! I mean, this was my first time HOSTING HIS FAMILY! Gotta stay on the good side...ya know what I mean?

Wednesday night: I slaved over the stove to make sure that his parents had a meal to eat when they arrived. We would have taken them out to a restaurant, but nothing is open past 10pm on a weeknight. Then I slaved over the stove some more so that his sister's family would have something to eat also when they arrived the next morning.
Dinner menu: Filipino style chicken menudo with homemade corn tortillas.
Lunch menu: A delicious exotic mushroom pasta with white wine sauce.

Luckily, Carlos' parents loved their dinner and his dad even asked for seconds! =) Hooray! My first set of brownie points!

Thursday: Carlos picked his sister's family from the airport, had the mushroom pasta and headed out to the Science Museum. A perfect place to take a kid!

Here's a pic of Carlos' nephew and his brother-in-law.



That evening I met up with his family at a nearby Korean BBQ restaurant, where we celebrated Carlos' mother's 50th birthday. Then we topped it off with a delicate chocolate raspberry cake from Finale, a fine bakery/coffee shop. (I would have shown a pic, but I have no idea where Carlos kept them.)

Friday: His family went exploring the history of Boston, by walking the freedom trail. I heard that his brother-in-law was so fascinated by the USS Constitution that they spent three hours over there! Then Carlos and I met up with them in Little Italy for a good ol' traditional Italian dinner.

Saturday: We went up north past Salem to Crane's beach. It was so beautiful there! The sun was shining, the water was clear, and the sand was warm and soft. It also happened to be Carlos' nephew's first visit to a beach. So the first thing he did of course was run straight into the water. =P
That's me throwing him into the water. And you can't go to the beach without building a sand sculpture! Carlos and I decided on an airplane. I present to you Ocean Air! After we returned with sand in our pants and shirts, we treated them to their first taste of Thai food at Brown Sugar. I ordered the usual Pad Thai and Pad ZEU, which every first timer has to try. Then I ordered my favorite dish, Kow Mun Kai (steamed chicken on mildly favored rice served with a spicy garlic sauce), some crab fried rice, beef macadamia, and some roasted duck. And of course, Thai teas 'round the table. Mmm...mmm...mmm....

Sunday: Started the day off with mass with my favorite priest, Fr. John Unni. Carlos' mom is quite religious and really enjoyed the gathering. Then we headed over to the Belkin Family Lookout Farm to go apple picking! Luckily for me, since I'm not too fond of apples, the plums and peaches were also ripe and ready to be picked. So that's what I got a bag full of. =D Midway between the picking, there was a petting zoo and children's playground.

I was most fascinated by the rock-climbing apparatus. See? It's pretty cool.Then Carlos and I also played Gladiators on a balance beam, and the monkey bars. =)

And a couple of dragonflies landed on my arm, which I totally wouldn't have noticed if Carlos' nephew didn't point it out.

Then my biggest challenge came: how to impress the family with a big sit down dinner in our apartment. Well, I took a very good tip from a former co-worker of mine. Get of bunch of drum sticks, stick them in some Jack Daniels marinade and put it in the oven. And that's exactly what I did. Plus I cooked up a couple batchs of rice, warmed up some tortillas, and served it with some salad along with Carlos' homemade salad dressing. Everyone was stuffed and satisfied. Mission complete!

Here's the whole familia at the end of their stay.

Overall, it definitely wasn't as bad as I had anticipated. His family is really sweet and treats me like one of their own. I wouldn't mind having them over again.

2 comments:

T.P. said...

Wow Regina! You are super woman! Reading about all your activities made me tired! It seemed you have a blast. Reading about all those food made me crave them so much. I would give anything for some Pad Thai right now. Yum!

I hope you're doing well. Are you heading back to Cali for winter vacation? I hope you will, because I want to see you. If not, I'll make sure to head to Boston and visit you. =)

Jeannie said...

That little boy is cute! I heard that east coast beaches are different from west coast beaches. True??