Thursday, March 8, 2007

What did you say? Huh?

Today I went to the Ears Nose and Throat (ENT) department to clean out my ears because I thought I had horrible hearing. My ex-boyfriend always teased me for not hearing a thing he said and always told me to clean my ears. I had a crush from high school whom I couldn't understand either. And now, my current boyfriend always complains that I'm deaf.

With all of these accusations, I began to seriously wonder about my state of hearing. So I made an appointment with an ear wax removal technician. The moment the technician looked in my ear, I braced myself for the bad news and his disgust. I waited for him to pull out a huge chunk of crap and for sound to flood into my ears. Instead he found nothing in my right ear. So I thought there had to be something in my left ear. Nope, nothing there either. I was so puzzled and somewhat disappointed. I came here to get some ear wax out, and you're telling me I don't have any?! I know, I should totally be happy that my ears are perfectly clean, but then why can't I hear my boyfriend clearly? I needed an explanation. So the tech refered me to a physician so that I could take a hearing test.

Five minutes later, I was sitting a closed room with head phones repeating words after the physician and clicking buttons for each sound I heard. I sat petrified waiting for my results. The physician came in with a smile and said my hearing was perfectly fine. I had 0DB...which is totally normal. If you have anything higher than 0DB, you have hearing problems.

If I have good hearing, then my ex and crush totally had mumbling problems. As for my current boyfriend, he's just gotta stop talking to me from another room when I'm washing dishes or showering.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I should get my ears check out too. Thanks for the encouragement.

Jan(i)e said...

aOmg reminds me of that traumatizing time when I got my ears cleaned. That hurt! And after that big chunk came out, I didn't hear any better. I guess it's just meant to stay with me.