Thursday, March 15, 2007

Work

Bleh...yesterday I was so bored at work. I had things to do but I had no urge to do any of it. I need a new stimulating job. It's really too bad that I plan to stay her another 5 freakin months! I hope they go by quickly. All for the sake of getting a good rec letter.

Well, this hasn't been a total waste of time. By working at this job:
  1. I'm gonna get my first paper published ever! Let alone, be first author! *keep your fingers crossed, that it gets accepted to the journal* I might even have a second one coming out, as well as be second author on my co-worker's paper.
  2. I've learned how to deal with a difficult boss. Unfortunately, mine is so difficult that it took me a whole year to really know how to work with her.
  3. I've learned a lot about the Chinese culture and the joys of motherhood through my co-worker. She has really become my closest friend in Boston (after Carlos of course). Although I don't like the pressure she gives me about having a baby sooner than later. I don't have the money or the maturity to support a child!
  4. I get a cake for my birthday and I get to indulge in my co-workers' birthday cakes too.
  5. I've learned that research is only fun when I get to think of my projects and develop them myself.
  6. Research is only fun when you have enough funds to do it.
  7. I've gotten over some fears, i.e. holding big-arse bullfrogs and rats.
  8. I've learned that guinea pigs are so cute! (Why do we have to use them in experiments?)
  9. Learned completely new (to me, but ancient) techniques.
  10. Got to work with summer students - totally fun and exhausting

I guess that's all I can say about my past year and a seven months of working in this lab. Not too bad.

Anyway, I totally need a new job. I don't want to do research anymore, but it's the only thing I know how to do. If I apply for any other job, they require experience and crap that I don't have. Job searching is gonna be fun (in a uber-sarcastic voice). I hope that in my next job, I'll be able to talk to people outside of my co-workers, and make a positive influence on others' lives.

Now, where do I look? Let the hunt begin!...in June. =)

2 comments:

T.P. said...

Any place would be lucky to have you.

Thank you for the hug!

Jan(i)e said...

Now who ever got a job and knew everything they needed to learn?